AMHS Band Parents Association Current Officers and Chairs
Send a message to: Larry Wilcher
- President – Chairs general and special meetings, forms ad-hoc committees and appoints chairs, coordinates with Director of Bands to plan upcoming activities and support needs, coordinates BPA activities, executive contact for the BPA.
- Vice-President – Chairs general and special meetings in absence of President, chair of Fundraising Committee.
- Secretary – Records meeting minutes, maintains association records, contacts incoming band parents prior to start of school year, confirms schedules, venues and reservations.
- Treasurer – Maintains association financial records, interfaces with AMHS Booster Club Treasurer (our banking agent), manages student-accounts, collects monies for BPA sponsored activities.
- Director of Bands – Current AMHS Director of Bands, responsible for curriculum of Bands program, setting rehearsal and performance schedules for Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Jazz Band and Pep-Band, interfacing with regional adjudication and contest organizations, advisor/controller for AMHS Band’s ASB account.
- Bands Senate President – Student representative elected by AMHS Bands members. Coordinate with all AMHS Bands senators and section leaders for consistency and continuity. Organizes student-led activities and fundraisers. Interface with BPA.
About the Committees
- Head Chaperone – Creates and maintains volunteer lists for the BPA in support of AMHS Bands activities, such as Band Camp, parades, football games, concessions, parties and special events. Collects and maintains parent/student forms for consent, waiver,background-check, skills profile and other documents.
- Marching Band – Coordinates with Band Director to procure props or other items needed for the field show, festivals and band camp. Arranges any special logistics needs beyond the school-district truck or bus. Facilitates setup of the AMHS paddock for festivals (tents, tables, benches, kitchen). Organizes festival meal menu and recruits cooking team for each festival. (typically 4 events in fall).
- Wardrobe/Uniforms – Sizing, assignment and alteration of Marching Band uniforms at the beginning of practice in August. Ordering uniform accessories (shoes, gloves, etc.) and assisting with sizing of tuxes or dresses as needed for new Concert Band and Wind Ensemble students.
- Fundraising – Typically chaired by the BPA Vice-President. Establish and maintain the BPA fundraising plan, to ensure that it remains on-target and on-schedule. Assign project leaders/champions for individual fundraising projects to help distribute the work among the membership and maintain enthusiasm for participation by more members.
- Recruitment and Retention – Identifies opportunities to support Elementary and Middle-School music programs to encourage students to continue with band into high school and beyond. Provide literature and answer questions at events such as AMHS Future Freshmen Night, Middle-School concerts, MS honor bands, and community events. Reach out to private middle-schools in the spring to provide info to potential AMHS Bands students (especially Marching Band, prior to school-year start). Assist with Middle-School Band fundraisers (as appropriate) and special events. Identifies summer-camp programs for MS and HS musicians and distribute info for same. Identify music-based scholarships from vendors and companies not traditionally listed in the guides.
- Communication – Maintain AMHS-BPA websites, including posting of new information to homepage and calendar, periodic backups, and interface with service providers. Manage membership database and mailing lists, approving new members, categorizing by membergroup (active, alumni, which bands, etc) for proper communications targeting. Promote AMHS Bands activities and fundraisers through online event calendars and local media.
- Grant Writing – Identify and apply for grants for the AMHS Bands and BPA throughout the year (usually required several months to a year lead). Training provided!
- Boosters Auction – Primary contact point for the AMHS Booster Club Spring Auction and ticket sales on behalf of the Bands. Planning typically begins in December, with the event in late March. Interface with Booster Club and take lead for acquisition of donations and construction of auction baskets.
- Scrip Coordinator – Organize and facilitate micro-payment fundraising activities throughout the year, such as Shop-With-Scrip and other Rewards-Card programs on behalf of the AMHS-BPA. Includes delivery of items such as gift-cards or other ordered merchandise.