Last year, Mr. Pyle challenged the BPA to reach out beyond AMHS Bands and find ways to encourage retention of young musicians from the local middle-schools into their high-school careers, and to create a spark of interest in joining the AMHS bands. The Recruitment and Retention (R&R) Committee was formed to address this challenge.
Some of last year’s projects included…
- Creating promotional materials (flyers, videos)
- Outreach to local private middle-school music teachers
- A grant to the Rainier Middle School music program for equipment and supplies
- AMHS-BPA informational tables at Cascade and Rainier MS concerts
- AMHS-BPA informational table at AMHS “Future Freshmen” night
- Establishing media and community contacts for promotion of AMHS Bands events
- Supported creation of the new BPA website as an improved method of communication
- Promoted the new BPA website to potential incoming freshmen (at MS concerts), to make sure they had MB info
- Direct calls to freshmen band students and parents (not yet in contact list) to make sure they have MB info
We plan on doing all of these things again this year, not to mention the many other projects that were not fully developed. We are also open to new ideas to build on last year’s successes.
The R&R Committee is yet another opportunity to help the AMHS bands through the Band Parents Association. I hope you will join us at our next meeting, on Wednesday, September 5 at 6:30pm in the choir room.